4M – Mauritania

Hello 4M,

Your homework is to do some research on the country Mauritania. You need to find out 3 facts about this country and write them up as comments on this page.

I am really looking forward to reading your comments!

Merry Christmas,
Love Mrs Schneider

Look – Ive found a map!

99 thoughts on “4M – Mauritania

1. even thoe your my sister i sort of like your comment and say
    well done to rory for writing all them things

2. Still one of my favourite songs – my favourite lines are:
    “This horrible landmark
    Is nature’s sorrow.
    The ocean’s in pain
    And starting to cry”
    Your song inspired me to go and look at some photos of the ships – and you are right – it is terrible – but great that you are helping to raise everyone’s awareness of the problem – and what better way to to do it than with a song written by children! Congratulations
    Mark

3. ARE TRIP
    I loved are proformance at EPOC it was great being on stage, and graveyard of ships is a verry good song i think we done are best.And well donne to 4s and the rest of 4m and the rest of the shows and the show by EPOC menbers and i say a big thank you to all of EPOC for leting us go on that verry good trip.And coming to teach us how to make a song and doing all that.

its outystanding going on stage. by manny
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. My brother wishes 4m good luck and he is looking forward to hearing them dance!

5. 4m I HAD A GREAT DAY WITH YOU AND YOUR AMAZING VOICES I CAN WAIT TO SEE YOU AT THE THEATER IN MAY I BEVLIVE YOU HAVE MADE PROGRESS AND YOU WILL BE WRITE AN AMAZING SONG WITH ME OR THE COMPOSER HAVE A NICE DAY KIDS.

27/04/12 FRIDAY.

6. hello 4m im alisha brother writting to you about this great website alisha about this great progect!

7. LAST FRIDAY A PERSON FOR EPOC CALLED ANDRIEA AND SHE PUT US THOUGHT THE SONGS LIKE CARPENDA SECE THE DAY ,THE TAPESTERY OF LIFE,LISTEN TO THE COURUS AND WHY MOVE SO FAST ,MADE IN CHINA BECUSE THE POPULATION IN GIANT IT`S AS BIG AS RUSSAI PROBRLY .

8. 1. The highest point above land in Mauritania is Mount Ijill at 3,002 feet (915 metres). Mount Ijill is composed almost entirely of Iron Oxide (‘Hematite’) used to produced Iron and steel.

2. Mauritania is one of the largest countries in Africa, at 1,030,700 it is twice the size of France, although vast areas of the country are uninhabitable.

3. Mauritania is one of the least densely populated countries in the world, with a population of 2.7 million the population density of the country is 3 persons per square km.

4. Mauritania was one of the last countries in the world to officially abolish slavery. It passed a law prohibiting slavery in 1981. Slavery in Mauritania was mainly by Mauritanian Arabs enslaving indigenous black Mauritanians.

5. Mauritania is one of only two countries in the world (Madagascar being the other one) that does not use a decimal currency. The currency ougiya is comprised of five Khoums, although the Khoum now is rarely used.

6. The largest and most populous city in Mauritania is Nouakchott which is also the capital city. Nouakchott was a small village until it was chosen to become the capital in 1957 in preparation for Mauritanian independence three years later.

7. Mauritania is home to one of the world’s longest trains. The train at 3km transports iron ore from Zouerate in the interior near the Western Sahara border to Nouadhibou on the coast.

8. The town of Matmata due east of the Capital Nouakchott is famous for having one of the last known surviving species of desert crocodiles in the world.

9. The ruins of Koumbi Saleh, the capital of the ancient empire of Ghana which flourished between the 11th and 13th century lies in the south east of Mauritania close to the Malian border.

10. The Ancient city of Chinguetti founded in 777 AD is the spiritual capital of Mauritania, and is widely considered by Mauritanians to be the seventh holiest city of Islam. The unique beauty and architecture of Chinguetti has led UNESCO to declare it a world heritage site.

9. Where is Mauritania?
    The Islamic Republic of Mauritania is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean in the west, western Sahara in the north, Algeria in the northeast, Mali in the east and southeast, and Senegal in the southwest. It is in the Maghreb and West Africa, and is named after the Roman province of Mauretania.
    What is the capital of Mauritania?
    Nouakchott is the largest city and the capital of Mauritania. It is the administrative and economic center of Mauritania. The city is divided into a number of administrative districts, which are further divided into alphabetized blocks. It has an estimated population of 881,000.
    What is the religion of Mauritania?
    Freedom of religion is restricted by the government. The constitution of the country decrees that Islam is the religion of the republic, and so it is the official religion.
    What is the literacy rate in Mauritania?
    The estimated literacy rate in Mauritania is 55.8. The education system of Mauritania was established by the French colonial administration. In recent times, education has become compulsory between the ages of 6 and 14.
    What is the currency of Mauritania?
    The currency of Mauritania is the Mauritanian ouguiya and its ISO 4217 code is MRO. It was introduced in 1973, replacing the CFA franc. 1 USD= 282.06 MRO.

• Wow rory you have been gone for a long time and you did your homework Well done! 😀

• You have written some really interesting facts Rory. I am a Trainee Teacher from Roehampton University and we are commenting on work that we like. I feel as if you have tried hard with this work and you have certainly taught me more about Mauritania. Great informative work, keep it up!

• You have found out some very interesting facts here Rory. You have obviously spent some time researching this information. I am a trainee teacher at Roehampton University and we have been asked to comment on blogs that we like. Well done your blog has certainly taught me more about Mauritania, thanks! Keep up the hard work a very informative piece of writing.

10. Mauritania has hundreds of kilometres of Atlantic shoreline. The coastal waters of Mauritania are among the richest fishing areas in the world.

The fishing grounds of Mauritania are exploited by fishermen from many other countries.

Mauritania attracts many tourists for sports fishing off the Atlantic coast.

The people of the fishing village of Nouamghar use dolphins to drive shoals of migrating fish towards the shore and their nets.

Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania, is one of the newest capitals in the world: construction began in 1960.

The name of the capital, Nouakchott, means “place of the winds”.

In 1986 Mauritania’s deep-water port was opened near Nouakchott.

Because of desertification Nouakchott is now surrounded by sand.

Two-thirds of Mauritania is desert and the desert is expanding southwards every year.

The Sahara Desert is the world’s largest desert: nine million square kilometres.

Ancient rock paintings in Mauritania show giraffes, cattle and other grazing animals which all lived in the region before the desert took over.

Paleolithic stone tools have been found in some areas in the desert.

Mauritania was a French colony under the name French West Africa (French West Africa was formed in 1895. The Federation included Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea (French Guinea), Mali (French Sudan) and Senegal. Later members were Benin (Dahomey), Burkina Faso (Upper Volta) Mauritania and Niger. The Federation ended in 1958).

Mauretania (with an “e”) was the name of a kingdom of North Africa (where Morocco is now) which became a Roman province. Mauritania (with an “i”) is the name chosen for this part of the French colonial empire when the countries were given their freedom. (At the beginning of the twentieth century, a UK ship was named after the Roman province – Mauretania.)

In 1964 Ould Daddah, the President, established a one party state.

Mauritania is a member of the Arab League which was established in 1945.

Mauritania is one of the very few countries in the world where people who have traditionally led a nomadic life have an important role in running the country.

Swarms of locusts in 2004 wiped out Mauritania’s harvest. Food aid was requested by the United Nations.

Offshore oil was discovered in 2001. Exploration and appraisal took place in 2008

Mauritania experienced flooding in 1994, 1999 and 2003. In 2007 many people were once again displaced by flooding.

In October 2008 Niger’s government was found guilty of failing to protect Hadijatou Mani from slavery. The ruling is said to have implications for other African countries where slavery persists.

11. Mauritania has hundreds of kilometres of Atlantic shoreline. The coastal waters of Mauritania are among the richest fishing areas in the world.

12. thx miss schneider you are good teacher i just done the mauritania flag i leaved my work we did today on your desk in the music room

13. Mauritania is in the west side of Africa and on
    the north Altantic ocean.They speak Arabic and French.
    In 2009 there were 3,069,000 people,Mauritanian money
    is ouguiya.

14. Nouakchot is the largest city in mauritania
    The offical language they speak is Arabic and French
    Mauritania is one of the largest countries in Africa.

• No begging required! I am happy to make you an author. Can you leave a request on the homepage please.

15. Mauritania is in the west side of Africa and on
    is ouguiya.

16. Mauritania is a country in the Magherb and West Africa.It is boardered by the Atlantic Ocean in the West,by Western Sahara in the North,by Algeria in the Northest,by Mali in the East and SouthEast,and by Senegal in the SouthWest.

The Govermont of Mauritania was overthrown on 6th August 2008.General Aziz resighned from the Military to run for president in the 19th July ecasions,which he one.In Mauritania about 20present of the populations live on less than US$1.25 per day.

17. Mauritania is named after the antient Berber Kingdom of mauritania,which later came a province of the Roman Empire,even thoughthe Modern state covers the territorry far to the South Westof the old Kingdom.The Capital and largest City Nouakchot,located in the Atlantic coast.

18. Moritania is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean in the West,by Western Sahara in the north,by Algeria in the Northest,by Mali in the East and South East,and by Senogal in the South West.

• I can’t wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Actually Bhashana, teaching you the Ring songs is MY job. They are going to help you WRITE your own class song!

19. hello everyone i love the idea of a project and the opera so just to say miss schneider i don’t need to know how to leave a comment anymore.i don’t need to miss my play. I hope you had a great afternoon with the english pocket opera this afternoon.

• Well done Casey! I am so pleased that you worked out how to leave a comment! I wonder if you can now show some of the others how to do this? I had a great afternoon thank you!

20. Awesome facts 4M now i feel like going there.Im going to be known as girl who knows all the things about Mauritania.

21. Mauritania is three times the size of Arizona,is situated in north west in Africa with about 350 mi (592km) of coastline on the Alatic Oeacan.It is boread by Mrocoo on the north Algeria an Mali on east, and sengal aouth

22. Dear 4M
    Mauritania seems like a really interesting place. You have blogged lots of facts and figures and I was wondering how some of them compare to us here in the UK ? I would be interested to know how our populations compare and what the percentage of literate people is there (42%) compared to here?
    I am also interested in finding out how their money system actually works if it is not decimal like ours??
    Keep blogging!!

Mr. Dachtler

23. I am really impressed with the comments that you have researched and posted.

I had a little look myself and was fascinated to find out that it is twice the size of France, the name of the capital city, Nouakchott, means “place of the winds” and temperatures can reach 57 degrees celsius. Too hot for me!

Keep researching,

Miss McGrath

24. Wow 4M, this is brilliant research. I particularly like the articles which used points as they made it really easy to read the facts. I also liked the interesting ones such as Katie’s, which told us about their currency being different and where the name came from.
    I wanted to add a picture to this comment but I didn’t know if you can add a picture to a comment. Can anyone help me please? Thank you.

25. here are some fact about Mauritania
    Mauritania left franc Mauritania left the Franco-African Community to became an independent nation in November 1960Mauritania’s people is composed of several ethnics groups.A Mauritanian lawmaker, Mohammed Al Mukhtar, announced that “many of the country’s people were supporting the takeover attempt and the government was “an authoritarian regime” and that the president had “marginalized the majority in parliament.Mauritania is generally flat.

26. Mauritania is an African, well I’m not sure but I think it is.
    They people there are Muslim.
    It’s an average sized country and it has many towns and cites.
    I know about how the flag is like, it has a green background, a yellow star and some sort of mouth shaped banana just below the star.

Antonia

27. mauritania it is hot thaire.thay are near to africa.it is connsided butifull.it is a land with no consided people.
    here arm was fractured from gavage.sudan/africas contriy was ruled by a man called ab-muslim.

28. I have some facts about Mauritania and I would like to share some with you.

.They speak Hassaniya Arabic,French,Wolof and Pulaar
    .Their currency is Ouguiya
    .Their literacy percent is 42
    .Their religion is Muslim
    .Their life expectancy is 54
    .Their population is 3,069,000

29. 1. mauritania language is arabic.
    2. mauritania is independent from france. date 1960 november 28.
    3.mauritania is known as the national system republic.

30. Mauritania and Madagascaar are the only two countries in the world not to use
    decimal based currency. The name of the country is derived from the Latin Mauritania,meaning the land of the mauri.

31. I have some facts about Mauritania and I will like to share some with you.

.The population in Mauritania is 3,069,000
    .They speak French,Hassaniya Arabic,Wolof,pulaar
    .Their religion is Muslim
    .The life expectancy is 54
    .The literacy percent is 42
    .Their currency is Ouguiya

32. i looked at the internet and i type mauritania .
    mauritania language is arabic,french
    there president is muhammad ould abudermmadzuizu
    there prime minister is mohamed ould raqudafu murai

33. here are some facts
    1.Mauritania is a country in the Maghreb and West Africa.
    2.It is named after the ancient Berber Kingdom of Mauritania,which later became a province of the Roman Empire.
    3.The capital and largest city is Nouakchott, located on the Atlantic coast.
    4.The government of Mauritania was overthrown on 6 August 2008.
    5.On 16 April 2009, General Aziz resigned from the military to run for president in the 19 July elections, which he won.

34. Hello class 4M – and Happy New Year – I can’t believe 2012 is here! It’s Mark here from EPOC – I haven’t met you all yet but, if I don’t see you before, I will certainly look forward to meeting you all when you come to the theatre in May. I was thrilled to see all the work you have been doing on this project and look forward to seeing all the results of your research on these pages – keep up the good work – Mauretania Rocks!